Friday, January 13, 2006

Reader Mail: The Friday Fruitcakes

Well, it's Friday, which means it's time to look in the old BobGeiger.com mailbag and, for pure entertainment value only, see what right-winger has crawled out from under a rock to give me my comeuppance this week.

An anonymous e-mailer – why are most of these tough guys afraid to give their names so much of the time? – writes...

Dear Mr. Geiger

I read your web sight [sic] with a mix of anger and amazement that someone like you is allowed to live in our country. You obviously would be happier someplace else as you don't seem to like our president, our government or our military. Were you this disloyal when you served in the military or did it start after you went to college and became a liberal lunatic?

Why don't you move away or at least, go to hell?

Signed,

A REAL American
To which I reply...
Dear REAL American;

I've been watching your president and Judge Samuel Alito this week and would like to follow their leadership in answering your primary question.

While I have considered moving away (or going to hell), I really don't know. I have not studied such a decision in a way that I would study a relocation that comes before me as a U.S. citizen and I would have to go through a rigorous process of study and determination.

I can say that I would approach the thought of moving away (or going to hell) in the same way I have approached every relocation decision in my life, with an open mind and with a process that, I believe, will achieve good results and sound decision-making.

Of course, this decision would have to be made from my vantage point at this time and not based on speculation of some relocations that may come before me at a future date. It would not be appropriate for me to comment on that.

In addition, I have to say that we should indeed have open and free debate on whether or not I should leave the country (or go to hell) but we must remember there is a difference between responsible and irresponsible debate. And this is an irresponsible thing for you to suggest when American troops are risking their lives overseas.

You're either with me or with the terrorists.

May God bless the Red States of America.

Bob
Tune in next week for another edition of the Friday Fruitcakes. And, for you hateful, self-loathing Republicans – keep those cards, letter and e-mails coming.