Saturday, December 16, 2006

Statements From Senate Colleagues on Tim Johnson

Here's a wrap-up of formal press releases from both sides of the Senate aisle on the condition of Senator Tim Johnson (D-SD), who underwent brain surgery this week. I won't editorialize on this much, but I must say that I'm a bit surprised that these were the only formal statements out of 99 Senate colleagues.

Norm Coleman (R-MN)

“My wife Laurie and I send our thoughts and prayers to Senator Johnson and his family during this difficult time. I have the utmost respect for Tim Johnson and pray for his swift and complete recovery.”

Kent Conrad (D-ND)

"Lucy and I have been good friends with Tim and Barb Johnson, and we're hoping and praying for his swift and complete recovery. We're thinking of the Johnson family at this difficult time.

"Senator Johnson is somebody I've worked closely with on both the Budget and Agriculture committees. He's been a good friend and a strong ally on issues important to our states. We're encouraged by the reports that the operation went well. We ask people across North Dakota to pray for his recovery. He's a good man, and he has a wonderful family."

Byron Dorgan (D-ND)

“We are all praying for a full recovery for Tim and his family. Tim is a good friend, a neighbor and a wonderful U.S. Senator. I know all North Dakotans will join in offering prayers for Tim’s recovery.”

John Ensign (R-NV)

“My thoughts and prayers are with Tim and his family during this difficult time. I’m hopeful for his full recovery and his return to work in the Senate.”

Tom Harkin (D-IA)

“My prayers, and the prayers of all the Senate, are with Senator Tim Johnson and his family during this difficult time. Ruth and I offer our continued support and optimism for Tim’s full and speedy recovery, and I look forward to welcoming our friend and colleague back to the Senate as soon as possible.”

Patrick Leahy (D-VT)

“Tim Johnson is as fine a public servant as I’ve known. Marcelle and I hold Tim and Barbara and their family in our hearts and prayers. We also know how much their family has gone through in recent years, with Tim conquering prostate cancer and their son being sent to serve in the war in Afghanistan. At times like this the Senate is a family, with Republicans and Democrats alike praying and hoping for Tim’s full recovery.”

Mitch McConnell (R-KY)

“I know all my Senate colleagues join me in praying for Senator Johnson’s full and speedy recovery. Our thoughts are with his wife, Barbara, and his family during this time.”

Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)

“Our thoughts are with Senator Tim Johnson and his family, and we join with the rest of the Senate community in praying for his speedy and full recovery.”

Mark Pryor (D-AR)

“As a good friend and colleague, Senator Tim Johnson’s condition is of serious concern to me. I am very relieved to hear last night’s surgery was a success and my prayers are with his family and friends for a quick and steadfast recovery. As far as the Senate in concerned; I’m not worried about that, I’m thinking of my friend, his family, and his health.”

Harry Reid (D-NV)

“Senator Johnson is a dear friend to me and to all of us here in the Senate. Every member of the United States Senate sends our best to him and to his family at this difficult time, and we wish him a full recovery.”

John Thune (R-SD)

"Our prayers are with Senator Johnson and his family during this difficult time. We encourage all South Dakotans to keep him and his family in their thoughts and prayers."