Friday, October 10, 2008

GOP Leaders Abandoning McCain: "Who Is John McCain?"

Like passengers on the Titanic trying to get on the last lifeboat over the side, Republicans are beginning to ditch John McCain, with the Republican former governor of Michigan questioning the nasty tone of McCain's campaign and saying he is "…not the McCain I endorsed."

Former Governor William Milliken had previously endorsed McCain during the Republican primary season.

"He is not the McCain I endorsed," said Milliken, in an interview with The Grand Rapids Press. "He keeps saying, 'Who is Barack Obama?' I would ask the question, 'Who is John McCain?' because his campaign has become rather disappointing to me."

"I'm disappointed in the tenor and the personal attacks on the part of the McCain campaign, when he ought to be talking about the issues."

In addition, former GOP Senator Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island, has said he is voting for Obama, is urging others to do the same and said of McCain "that's not my kind of Republicanism."

"I saw what Bush and Cheney did. They came in with a (budget) surplus and a stable world, and look what's happened now," said Chafee, who was ousted in 2006 by Democrat Sheldon Whitehouse. "In eight short years they've taken one peaceful and prosperous world, and they've torn it into tatters."

Added Chafee about Sarah Palin: "There's no question she's totally unqualified."

Another Republican, former Kent County GOP Chairman Bob Eleveld, is not supporting McCain or Obama, and says that he is not alone among Republicans abandoning McCain.

"Suffice it to say there are a number of people who have been strong Republicans in the past, including party chairs, who feel as I do," he said. "I think the straight talk is gone. I think he's pandering to the Christian right. That's some straight talk from me."

And Milliken, who at 86 has no problem with McCain's age, can't help but be bothered by the thought of a President Palin.

"I know John McCain is 72. In my book, that's quite young," said Milliken, who then addressed the Palin choice. "What if she were to become president of the United States? The idea, to me, is quite disturbing, if not appalling."