Monday, May 16, 2005

No, my first name ain't "Pal." It's Bob – Mr. Geiger if you're nasty.

(With apologies to Janet Jackson.)

A conservative reader of the Yellow Dog Blog writes:


Hey, Pal.


Most of your stupid liberal diatribes seem pretty harmless to me, but are you actually encouraging other warm fuzzy democrats to drive right by people having car trouble because they have a bumper sticker that offends your delicate sensibilities?


Should I ignore someone in trouble because they have a Kerry Edwards bumper sticker?


Grow up, Yellow Dog.


[unsigned]



Dear [unsigned];


Why is it that none of you conservatives sending me these love letters ever signs your real name or corresponds from a real, personal e-mail address? None of you signs your name and most of you write from e-mail addresses such as RightWingTroglodyte@yahoo.com.


Sorry, had to get that off my chest.


Am I suggesting that we Democrats refuse to help people with bumper stickers like the ones shown in my "Stranded Motorists You Should Not Help" feature? Yes, that's exactly what I'm suggesting.


People who have bumper stickers expressing sentiments like "Vote for Kerry; Vote for Terrorism" or "Democrats: Hard on Fetuses, Soft on Terrorists" very clearly hate me and everything I stand for. It would be as stupid for me to assist them as it would be for an African-American or Jewish person to stop and help guys in white robes and hoods who broke down on their way to a cross burning.


In addition, by displaying this kind of hate and misinformation on their cars, they are showing themselves to be someone that – yes, I'll come right out and say it – I consider an enemy of me personally and of what America is supposed to stand for.


It doesn't have so much to do with the fact that they stand on the other side of the political fence as it does the sheer bile and viciousness with which they express their viewpoint.


For example, I would stop to help someone who displays this bumper sticker on their car:



While this bumper sticker nauseates me considerably, it is at least a positive statement of support for Reagan and Bush – not a low-rent slap at everyone on the other side of the political aisle.


I'm sure even a Republican can understand the difference between "Vote for Bush" and "Osama Bin Laden Wants You To Vote For Kerry."


It also shouldn't be so hard to understand that when you present yourself as an enemy, you'll very likely be treated like one.


Thanks for reading!


Mr. Geiger