Thursday, August 25, 2005

Robertson: And I've Got Art!

There's not much to add to how much time we're all spending on American Taliban Pat Robertson advocating U.S. assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez. Robertson claimed yesterday that he was taken out of context. "I didn't say 'assassination,'" said Robertson Wednesday morning. "I said our special forces should go 'take him out,' and 'take him out' could be a number of things, including kidnapping."

Unlike the rest of you cynics, I knew that, by "take him out," Robertson meant the CIA should take Chavez to the Caracas IHOP for all-you-can-eat pancake Sunday.


But, wait, let's go to the videotape of Monday night's "700 Club" and see what Robertson actually said:

"You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we are trying to assassinate him, we should go ahead and do it."
And just hours after he said he was misunderstood – I guess he discovered that his show is videotaped and that he was nailed – Robertson reversed himself and issued an apology.
"Is it right to call for assassination?" Robertson said. "No, and I apologize for that statement. I spoke in frustration that we should accommodate the man who thinks the U.S. is out to kill him."
Damn, Pat! It's a good thing you belong to the Republican party, where lying is a way of life.

My friend, Jon, at Pensito Review, forwards a picture of Robertson that he swears is modified with Photoshop, but I don't know... Looks authentic to me.