Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Family-Gathering Political Talking Points

When I sit down for my Blue-state Thanksgiving dinner, I will be surrounded by fellow Democrats and only need to worry about minimizing our talk about George W. Bush and the Republican party so we don’t get nauseous and ruin a nice meal.

I know many of you aren’t so lucky and will have to endure family gatherings like I would have to sit through if I still lived in my home state of Nebraska – listening to people sing Bush’s praises and repeating whatever inane talking points they have heard on Fox News. I often get e-mails from people asking for good arguments to silence this type of person and I was all set to write a pre-holiday piece on talking points that actually reflect the truth on Iraq and the state of the nation.


And then Peter Daou of the Daou Report went and did it for me.


In an incredible article called The Straw Men of Iraq: Ten Pro-War Fallacies, Peter blows apart any possible lame argument you could hear from a Republican friend or relative and gives you every bit of ammunition you need to make them look like the mental midgets that they are.


Peter explodes the myth of everyone in Congress sharing the same pre-war intelligence information as Bush – the GOP’s latest contention – Democrats “supporting” the war by “voting for it,” and the lie about “fighting them there so we don’t have to fight them here.”


As always, Peter cites multiple sources for his thesis.


If you have time to read only one thing before Thanksgiving, leave the Yellow Dog Blog right now and go read The Straw Men of Iraq: Ten Pro-War Fallacies.


Print it out. Read it again.


And feel the joy of making your loud-mouth, Republican, Uncle Zeke silently stare into his turkey and stuffing.