Friday, January 13, 2006

Country Music Star Tim McGraw – A Democrat!

As you can see from the Friday Fruitcakes every week, I get a lot of e-mail from conservatives who try to make me feel bad about myself -- It never works.

But this did, just a little. I think we all occasionally catch ourselves passing judgment, no matter how fleeting, based on a preconceived notion. Take today, for instance. I'm cruising through the headlines and, on Yahoo News I see "Country Singer Tim McGraw Eyes Politics." I admit, my first thought was "Great. Another Republican celebrity running for office" as I assumed, being in the country music business and with the fan base that implies, he's got to be conservative.

How wrong I was.

It turns out that McGraw, who is married to the lovely Faith Hill, is not only a Democrat, but a pretty hard-core Dem at that.

While he won't consider entering Tennessee politics for a few years, McGraw calls health care his top issue and says Bill Clinton is his inspiration, calling him "the best president we ever had."

Clinton is equally impressed.

"I think he's got it," Clinton says of McGraw in an Esquire magazine story that hits newsstands Monday. "The Democrats need candidates whom people can relate to in a personal way, people who understand their lives and their concerns and share their values. And I think that's something Tim can do without even pretending."

So I learned something today. As my mother used to say, "you know what happens when you assume..."