Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Gone Fishin'

On Wednesday, I will fly to San Francisco with my wife and son for a well-deserved vacation and to show my little boy the beautiful city of his birth in 1997. I'm convinced that by the time my young son is my age, he will not care that his Dad had a political blog with thousands of readers, but he will remember if his father took the time to thoroughly enjoy a vacation with his family.

So I'm going away for 10 days and temporarily turning off the lights on BobGeiger.com. It's not an easy thing to do… It's an exciting and perilous time in our national politics and the Senate I cover may see some activity surrounding the Iraq war over the next week or so -- though the Senate is scheduled to be in recess the week of February 19.

And taking time off from one’s web site feels a bit like leaving a loved one for too long. But I always promised my wife that it would be family first, writing and politics second and it’s time for me to keep that promise.

I'll be back on February 24 and I hope you will be too. But, if I have to make the choice, I'd rather make my readers unhappy for a few days now, than send my son into the world someday as a man who is sad when he looks back on his time as a boy.

I bet anything you understand.

See you on the 24th.