Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Senate Coverage On Short Hiatus… Working On Book

If you talk to most political writers, they'll tell you that leaving their web site dormant or slowing down dramatically on writing can be a tough thing to pull off… There's so much going on and so damn much to be indignant about but, once in a while, an opportunity comes along that's just too good to pass up.

My friend, Cliff Schecter, is writing a book on John McCain. It's scheduled to be published in September by PoliPointPress and Cliff has asked me to contribute a chapter on McCain's legislative record and how looking at that can show what a faux maverick/political independent the guy really is.

Of course, I'm jumping at the chance to work with Cliff and to get some mileage out of all those late nights I've spent reading the Congressional Record and crunching Senate roll-call votes.

So you're going to see a bit of a slowdown on BobGeiger.com for the month of May. There's going to be a lot going on politically and staying away from my ongoing coverage of the United States Senate is not going to be easy, but I'm hopeful that I'll come back in early June and find that the time has indeed flown by very quickly. I'm not disappearing by any means -- just taking a break to work on the book with Cliff and to devote the dedicated attention to that effort that it merits and that's required.

Because of my commitment to the editorial cartoonists with which I have established relationships and the overwhelming feedback I've gotten on the weekly Senate committee schedule, I will continue to post the Saturday Cartoons as well as the weekly Senate hearing schedule (on Sunday nights or Monday mornings).

And I may toss in something here or there (until the book is done) if something pisses me off sufficiently.

Thanks to all my readers for your ongoing support. I look forward to continuing on the Senate beat in June.