Monday, May 23, 2005

No More Reaching Across The Damn Aisle: Reason Number 337

Good Lord, do they lie – and quickly too!

It didn't take the Republicans long to lie about what Howard Dean said on Meet The Press yesterday.

Following Governor Dean's appearance with Tim Russert yesterday, the Republicans were very quick to post something in their “RNC Research Briefings” called “DNC Chair Howard Dean Vs. The Democrat Senate Leadership.”

“DNC Chair Dean Advocates Up-Or-Down Votes For Judicial Nominees,” they lie, as the lead to this piece, while quoting Dean out of context saying "Look, I Have Nothing Against Up-Or-Down Votes On People. I Think That's A Good Thing."


What did Dean actually say?


“Well, here's the problem. Look, I have nothing against up or down votes on people. I think that's a good thing. The problem is that--I'll give you an example. When I was governor, I felt like everybody was my boss, whether they voted for me or against me, they paid my salary, and they would participate in the hiring process. So when I went out to town meetings and so forth and so on, I heard from everybody, all takers, whatever they wanted to lay on me. President Bush, for example, goes to these town meetings and doesn't allow Democrats or Independents who disagree with him into the town meeting. He has a crew of people who keep them out. This is a little bit like that. Don't those of us who didn't vote for the president, the 48 percent of Americans, don't we have some say? When the Republicans were in power, they kept a much larger percentage of President Clinton's nominees off the bench. They didn't do it with the filibuster, they did it by bottling them up in committee and not allowing them to move forward.”


Then he added the following:


“Now, the Democrats are doing the same thing. I think of course the party in power is going to argue against it. But if you look at what's good for America not what's good for the Republican Party, what the Republicans want to do is not good for America. I would argue that it's not very good in the long run for the Republican Party either. You can't cut the minority, especially if the minority is a very large one like 48 percent, totally out of everything.”


When you actually read everything Howard Dean said, it's clear he doesn't support the Republican position at all. But the Republicans know that, don't they?


To take a snippet of a quote and use it to incorrectly claim that Dean is at odds with the Senate Democratic leadership is an out-and-out lie.


No compromise with these people – none.