Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Breaking News: White House Press Discovers Spine

As they groggily wiped the sleep from their eyes and awoke from their long slumber, White House reporters have evidently discovered that President Bush's main man, Karl Rove, has been doing some very bad stuff. Although they're beginning to question this a good week after the rest of us started, the media has begun hammering on White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan for straight answers on Rove's "outing" of CIA operative Valerie Plame.

Of course, McClellan bobbed, weaved and refused to answer any substantive questions about Rove or inconsistencies in his own previous statements – but they kept at him.


Here are excerpts of yesterday's press briefing straight from the president's web site – and I'm publishing the long version because it's so good to see reporters acting like reporters again:


Q Does the President stand by his pledge to fire anyone involved in the leak of a name of a CIA operative?


MR. McCLELLAN: Terry, I appreciate your question. I think your question is being asked relating to some reports that are in reference to an ongoing criminal investigation. The criminal investigation that you reference is something that continues at this point. And as I've previously stated, while that investigation is ongoing, the White House is not going to comment on it. The President directed the White House to cooperate fully with the investigation, and as part of cooperating fully with the investigation, we made a decision that we weren't going to comment on it while it is ongoing.


Q Excuse me, but I wasn't actually talking about any investigation. But in June of 2004, the President said that he would fire anybody who was involved in this leak, to press of information. And I just want to know, is that still his position?


MR. McCLELLAN: Yes, but this question is coming up in the context of this ongoing investigation, and that's why I said that our policy continues to be that we're not going to get into commenting on an ongoing criminal investigation from this podium. The prosecutors overseeing the investigation had expressed a preference to us that one way to help the investigation is not to be commenting on it from this podium. And so that's why we are not going to get into commenting on it while it is an ongoing investigation, or questions related to it.


Q Scott, if I could -- if I could point out, contradictory to that statement, on September 29th, 2003, while the investigation was ongoing, you clearly commented on it. You were the first one who said, if anybody from the White House was involved, they would be fired. And then on June 10th of 2004, at Sea Island Plantation, in the midst of this investigation is when the President made his comment that, yes, he would fire anybody from the White House who was involved. So why have you commented on this during the process of the investigation in the past, but now you've suddenly drawn a curtain around it under the statement of, "We're not going to comment on an ongoing investigation"?


MR. McCLELLAN: Again, John, I appreciate the question. I know you want to get to the bottom of this. No one wants to get to the bottom of it more than the President of the United States. And I think the way to be most helpful is to not get into commenting on it while it is an ongoing investigation. That's something that the people overseeing the investigation have expressed a preference that we follow. And that's why we're continuing to follow that approach and that policy.


Now, I remember very well what was previously said. And at some point, I will be glad to talk about it, but not until after the investigation is complete.


Q So could I just ask, when did you change your mind to say that it was okay to comment during the course of an investigation before, but now it's not?


MR. McCLELLAN: Well, I think maybe you missed what I was saying in reference to Terry's question at the beginning. There came a point when the investigation got underway when those overseeing the investigation asked that it would be their -- or said that it would be their preference that we not get into discussing it while it is ongoing. I think that's the way to be most helpful to help them advance the investigation and get to the bottom of it.


Q Scott, can I ask you this; did Karl Rove commit a crime?


MR. McCLELLAN: Again, David, this is a question relating to an ongoing investigation, and you have my response related to the investigation. And I don't think you should read anything into it other than we're going to continue not to comment on it while it's ongoing.


Q Do you stand by your statement from the fall of 2003 when you were asked specifically about Karl and Elliott Abrams and Scooter Libby, and you said, "I've gone to each of those gentlemen, and they have told me they are not involved in this" -- do you stand by that statement?


MR. McCLELLAN: And if you will recall, I said that as part of helping the investigators move forward on the investigation we're not going to get into commenting on it. That was something I stated back near that time, as well.


Q Scott, I mean, just -- I mean, this is ridiculous. The notion that you're going to stand before us after having commented with that level of detail and tell people watching this that somehow you decided not to talk. You've got a public record out there. Do you stand by your remarks from that podium, or not?


MR. McCLELLAN: And again, David, I'm well aware, like you, of what was previously said, and I will be glad to talk about it at the appropriate time. The appropriate time is when the investigation--

Q Why are you choosing when it's appropriate and when it's inappropriate?

MR. McCLELLAN: If you'll let me finish --


Q No, you're not finishing -- you're not saying anything. You stood at that podium and said that Karl Rove was not involved. And now we find out that he spoke out about Joseph Wilson's wife. So don't you owe the American public a fuller explanation? Was he involved, or was he not? Because, contrary to what you told the American people, he did, indeed, talk about his wife, didn't he?


MR. McCLELLAN: David, there will be a time to talk about this, but now is not the time to talk about it.


Q Do you think people will accept that, what you're saying today?


MR. McCLELLAN: Again, I've responded to the question.


Go ahead, Terry.


Q Well, you're in a bad spot here, Scott, because after the investigation began, after the criminal investigation was underway, you said -- October 10th, 2003, "I spoke with those individuals, Rove, Abrams and Libby, as I pointed out, those individuals assured me they were not involved in this." From that podium. That's after the criminal investigation began. Now that Rove has essentially been caught red-handed peddling this information, all of a sudden you have respect for the sanctity of the criminal investigation?


MR. McCLELLAN: No, that's not a correct characterization Terry, and I think you are well aware of that. We know each other very well, and it was after that period that the investigators had requested that we not get into commenting on an ongoing criminal investigation. And we want to be helpful so that they can get to the bottom of this, because no one wants to get to the bottom of it more than the President of the United States. I am well aware of what was said previously. I remember well what was said previously. And at some point, I look forward to talking about it. But until the investigation is complete, I'm just not going to do that.


Q Do you recall when you were asked --


Q Wait, wait -- so you're now saying that after you cleared Rove and the others from that podium, then the prosecutors asked you not to speak anymore, and since then, you haven't?


MR. McCLELLAN: Again, you're continuing to ask questions relating to an ongoing criminal investigation, and I'm just not going to respond any further.


Q When did they ask you to stop commenting on it, Scott? Can you peg down a date?


MR. McCLELLAN: Back at that time period.


Q Well, then the President commented on it nine months later. So was he not following the White House plan?


MR. McCLELLAN: John, I appreciate your questions. You can keep asking them, but you have my response.


Go ahead, Dave.


Q We are going to keep asking them. When did the President learn that Karl Rove had had a conversation with the President -- with a news reporter about the involvement of Joseph Wilson's wife and the decision to send --


MR. McCLELLAN: I've responded to the questions.


Q When did the President learn that Karl Rove had --


MR. McCLELLAN: I've responded to the questions, Dick.


Go ahead.


Q After the investigation is completed, will you then be consistent with your word and the President's word that anybody who was involved would be let go?


MR. McCLELLAN: Again, after the investigation is complete, I will be glad to talk about it at that point.


Q And a follow-up. Can you walk us through why, given the fact that Rove's lawyer has spoken publicly about this, it is inconsistent with the investigation, that it compromises the investigation to talk about the involvement of Karl Rove, the Deputy Chief of Staff?


MR. McCLELLAN: Well, those overseeing the investigation expressed a preference to us that we not get into commenting on the investigation while it's ongoing. And that was what they requested of the White House. And so I think in order to be helpful to that investigation, we are following their direction.


Q Scott, there's a difference between commenting on an investigation and taking an action --


MR. McCLELLAN: Go ahead, Goyal.


Q Can I finish, please?


Q Does the President continue to have confidence in Mr. Rove?


MR. McCLELLAN: Again, these are all questions coming up in the context of an ongoing criminal investigation. And you've heard my response on this.


Q So you're not going to respond as to whether or not the President has confidence in his Deputy Chief of Staff?


MR. McCLELLAN: Carl, you're asking this question in the context of an ongoing investigation. And I would not read anything into it other than I'm simply not going to comment on an ongoing --


Q Has there been -- has there been any change --


MR. McCLELLAN: -- investigation.


Q Has there been any change or is there a plan for Mr. Rove's portfolio to be altered in any way?


MR. McCLELLAN: Again, you have my response to these questions.


Q Scott, I think you're barrage today in part because we -- it is now clear that 21 months ago, you were up at this podium saying something that we now know to be demonstratively false. Now, are you concerned that in not setting the record straight today that this could undermine the credibility of the other things you say from the podium?


MR. McCLELLAN: Again, I'm going to be happy to talk about this at the appropriate time. Dana, you all -- you and everybody in this room, or most people in this room, I should say, know me very well and they know the type of person that I am. And I'm confident in our relationship that we have. But I will be glad to talk about this at the appropriate time, and that's once the investigation is complete. I'm not going to get into commenting based on reports or anything of that nature.


Q Scott, at this point, are we to consider what you've said previously, when you were talking about this, that you're still standing by that, or are those all inoperative at this point?


MR. McCLELLAN: Again, you're still trying to come at this from a different angle, and I've responded to it.


Q Are you standing by what you said previously?


MR. McCLELLAN: You've heard my response.


Good grief! Is it that they've been seeing Bob Woodward on television so much lately that they've had romantic stirrings of what a journalist is actually supposed to do for a living? Did the ghost of I.F. Stone come and haunt all of them over the weekend?


Whatever the reason, good going guys. Now let's all keep acting like grown-up reporters again.