Sunday, December 18, 2005

The Weblog Awards: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The 2005 Weblog Awards ended on Thursday and, despite making no effort to get people to vote for me and being the only political blogger of 13 finalists to not put the awards banner on my site – two of 15 finalists were not about politics – I somehow managed to "win."

Along the way, I've been bombarded with hate e-mail from the Right – the vast majority of nominees were conservative blogs – called a cheater and countless other charming names. In short, it's been a joy.

I've kept publicly quiet since December 7 as I didn't want to feed all of this nonsense. Nor did I want to give even more attention to some of the people involved.

It hasn't been easy keeping my mouth shut and my fingers off the keyboard for the last 10 days. Remaining silent while being attacked is not my strong suit.

But I've waited until now because I didn't want to legitimize the right-wingers attacking me and I knew that any comment on my part would continue the ludicrous claims (of some of my opponents) that I was subtly campaigning for the award, despite my not posting one word about the awards for the final eight (of ten) days the voting was open.

What will follow tomorrow are three posts describing the good -- or, as good as it gets in this case -- the bad and the ugly about the Weblog Awards. We will then close the book and move on to more important things, like taking back our country in the 2006 elections.