Friday, July 20, 2007

Ben Nelson George W. Bush

Nebraska Senator Ben Nelson may formally have a "D" next to his name, but his voting record makes him as much a true Democrat as I am People Magazine's next 'Sexiest Man Alive.'

Nelson votes with the Republicans on almost everything and, most recently, cosponsored a bill with Richard Burr (R-NC) that would have gutted millions in Pell Grants for college students and given the money back to lending banks. (That was defeated in the Senate on Thursday with Nelson as the only "Democrat" to vote for it.)

And, by the way, before anyone writes to accuse me of being ignorant of what kind of Democrat can possibly come from a deep-red state, I'm from Nebraska and know that Bob Kerry was a very popular Senator there for 12 years, despite having a liberal voting record on many issues.

But knowing Nelson, it shouldn't have surprised me when I paid a routine visit to his web site to look at press releases and found this on his sidebar:


This is incredible on two fronts: One, is that even in Nebraska, Bush's approval ratings are in the toilet and you have to wonder how tone deaf Nelson's staff is to have a ringing endorsement from the worst president in U.S. history on their guy's site.

Second, Republicans are running away from Bush and Nelson is supposed to be a &%$#@(*& Democratic Senator!

Look, we all know Ben Nelson is about as liberal as Rush Limbaugh, so this is no big revelation. But, good heavens, why doesn't he also just post a picture of he and Bush snuggling on a sofa, enjoying a nice romantic comedy?

Bob Kerry and I both work in New York City. Maybe if I bump into him at a political event, I'll see if I can talk him into moving back to Nebraska, so Nelson can devote more time to his George W. Bush fan club.