Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Conservative Limbo: How Low Can You Go?

I'm sure I'll get the usual array of e-mail from the Right claiming that I am taking journalistic license and jumping to conclusions, so let me just say this up front: It's possible it was a Democrat who hooked a chain and pipe to his pickup truck and plowed through the monuments erected at Cindy Sheehan's Camp Casey. It's within the wide realm of possibility that it was a liberal who intentionally drove over the white crosses honoring our military men and women, who have given their lives in Bush's war.

It's also within an infinite universe of possibilities that George Soros will adopt me and make me the highest-paid blogger in the world --
possible, but not a snowball's chance in hell that it will come true.

So, I'm sorry to report that a conservative scumbag configured his Texas pickup truck to do maximum damage and leveled most of the memorial crosses that Cindy Sheehan and her companions set up outside the Bush ranch in Crawford.


So much for their hypocritical, support-the-troops credo.


Thankfully, police have arrested the man, Larry Northern, 59, of Waco and charged him with criminal mischief. Sadly, there's no criminal charge for being an ignorant cracker.



Conservatives show support for the troops

Then there's the New York Post's editorial today: "Cindy Sheehan's Agenda." In this piece, the Post calls Cindy "... a fully fledged member of the Michael Moore wing of the Democratic Party."


I guess I wouldn't expect a corporate-media rag like the Post – that's also owned by Rupert Murdoch – to accurately describe Cindy as a grieving mother, whose son's murder was enabled by the lies of George W. Bush.


Murdoch would call his own mother a card-carrying communist if he thought it would galvanize Republican rule and sell more right-wing papers.


Last, but not least, we have the craven Michelle Malkin jumping all over the fact that Casey Sheehan's death has exerted such stress on his parents' marriage, that they separated and now appear headed for divorce. Rather than ponder yet another piece of sad collateral damage from the Bush administration's war on the American people, Malkin writes:

"Assuming this report pans out, it will be interesting to see if Cindy Sheehan continues to insist that she and her husband "are on the same side of the fence" with respect to her anti-war activism."
I continue to get e-mail from readers who ask me if I will ever mellow my combative tone toward people like the cruel individuals described above. They ask if I believe Democrats should, in the foreseeable future, reach across the aisle to a group of people who will go to any lengths to attack someone like Cindy Sheehan, who has simply demanded answers about why her son died.

I think you know the correct answer.