Sunday, August 07, 2005

Gutsy Cindy Sheehan on TV Sunday

Here's the very-courageous Cindy Sheehan, whose son Casey was killed in Iraq last year, on Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer a few minutes ago talking about her experiences with the Bush administration and her current protest at his Texas ranch.

On meeting with Bush last summer after her son had been killed:

"We wanted to use the time for him to know that he killed an indispensable part of our family and humanity and we wanted him to look at the pictures of Casey -- he wouldn't look at the pictures of Casey, he didn't even know Casey's name. He came into the room and the very first thing he said was 'so, who are we honoring here?'

"He didn't even know Casey's name, he didn't want to hear it. He didn't want to hear anything about Casey, he wouldn't even call him 'him' or 'he.' He called him 'your loved one' and every time we tried to talk about Casey and how much we missed him, he would change the subject.


"He acted like it was a party... he came in very jovial, like we should be happy that our son died for his misguided policies"

Here she comments on Bush's repeated assertions that our war dead have died for a noble cause and that we honor those who have died by, as Bush says, "...continuing the mission."
"Every day that another soldier or another Iraqi person gets killed just rips my heart open... I do not want him to use my son's name to continue the killing. It's bad enough that my son is dead -- and I'm a mother whose heart was ripped out on April 4, 2004 -- why would I want one more mother, either Iraqi or American, to go through what I'm going through?

"I don't want him to justify my son's honorable sacrifice to continue his murderous killing policies."

Finally, Sheehan gives her parting words to Bush aides after meeting with them outside Bush's Crawford ranch and being told that "the president really cares."
"And I said you can't tell me that because I met with him and I know that he doesn't care. And I told them that I feel that my son didn't die for a noble cause and they told me the party line of why we are in Iraq and I don't believe that -- and I told them that I don't believe that they believe that.

"And I said just because I'm a grieving mother doesn't mean I'm stupid. I'm very well informed of the facts that are going on here."