Tuesday, November 29, 2005

GOP Congressman Guilty of Taking Bribes

Did you hear the one about the Republican Congressman who pleaded guilty yesterday to accepting bribes for political favors?

Oh, wait, that's not a joke. And it's not a rerun either.

Crooks and Liars – ironically enough -- has the video of YARC (Yet Another Republican Crook) as Representative Randy "Duke" Cunningham (R-CA) resigned his office yesterday after pleading guilty to fraud, conspiracy to commit bribery and tax evasion.

Cunningham's guilty plea is an admission that he accepted $2.4 million in bribes in return for doing nice things for really rich people in the defense industry. Sounds like standard GOP fare to me.

"I know I will have to forfeit my freedom…. In my life I have great joy and great sorrow, and now I know great shame," said Cunningham.

My guess is that, in addition to the jail time he'll be receiving, Cunningham's startling admission that he can actually feel shame means automatic expulsion from the Republican party.