Monday, March 07, 2005

No More Reaching Across The Damn Aisle: Reason Number 171

We Democrats spend way too much time complaining about how low Republicans continue to go in smearing our candidates and not enough time accepting that their sleaziness knows no bounds. I was riding the train into Manhattan for another Democratic event during the Republican convention in August and, as my friend John read the New York Times reporting of the previous day's events, he suddenly blurted "I don't f___ing believe this".

What could draw this kind of ire from my calm lawyer friend? The pictures of Republicans on the floor of their convention wearing purple heart bandages as a way of further demeaning John Kerry's military service. As if it wasn't enough that Senator Kerry had to endure months of his courage and patriotism being questioned by Republicans who never served a day in uniform, the right wing somehow found a way to take the slime level to yet another low.

Think I'm joking that they would do something this despicable?

"Delegates mock Kerry with 'purple heart' bandages," said CNN.

Have a look at the pictures:











And some of these military-respecting, ultra-patriotic Republicans are still selling these today.

I ask any of my fellow veterans who still support the Republicans after this: Where is your patriotism now? And where in the world has your self-respect gone?