Friday, March 04, 2005

Wow, I'm starting to like this Harry Reid Guy!

I don't know if he's become drinking buddies with Howard Dean or something, but our own Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid is starting to take the stick to the piƱata. While appearing on CNN's 'Inside Politics' yesterday, he gave Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan some well-deserved comeuppance for giving George W. Bush a free pass on ringing up the biggest deficit in U.S. history.

Also, Reid explained, Greenspan should be challenging the Bush administration on its overall bad handling of the economy instead of acting as a shill for the scheme to privatize Social Security.

"I'm not a big Alan Greenspan fan," Reid said when asked about the Fed chairman's testimony this week urging Congress to deal quickly with the financial problems facing Social Security and Medicare. "I voted against him the last two times. I think he's one of the biggest political hacks we have in Washington."

I like it. I like it a lot!

I know when I was an economics major at San Francisco State University, we were taught that massive deficits and huge tax cuts in time of war were bad for any economy. I'm not sure where Chairman Greenspan took Econ 100, but he doesn't seem to have any comment for a crew that has taken the $7 trillion-dollar surplus left by Bill Clinton and turned it very rapidly into a $4 trillion-dollar deficit.

Keep it up, Mr. Reid. Alan Greenspan can claim to be non-partisan all he wants, but his actions say otherwise.