Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Take The Marriage Protection Pledge!

Well this was a big disappointment.

Here I was hoping that the Family Research Council (FRC) was going to help me to ensure a long, happy future with my wonderful wife. I assumed that by taking their pro-marriage pledge I would somehow make even more progress at being a good husband and father and, I hoped, truly strengthen my marriage.


Much to my surprise, I found that what liberals are saying about the FRC is true: They're nothing but a bunch of bigots who say they're protecting marriage but are doing it – in a bizarre logic twist – by denying basic rights to others.


You can find their sick little pledge here and I'm also reproducing it in text for your edification and disgust.


Ain't the Religious Right grand?



Says the FRC:

The Marriage Protection Pledge is drafted for candidates of public office to affirm their commitment and support for traditional, one-man, one-woman marriage.

It is intended to be a public promise that places every elected official on record for the marriage issue.

It states the following:
I, ______________________ , pledge to the families of the state of ___________________ , and to all the American people that I will protect the inviolable definition of marriage. I firmly believe this definition is as follows:

Marriage, whether entered into within or outside of the United States, shall consist of the legal union of one man and one woman. Every person has the right to marry a person of the opposite sex, subject to state laws based on age and consanguinity. The uniting of persons of the same or opposite sex in a civil union, domestic partnership or other similar relationship shall not be valid or recognized with any legal benefits or privileges in the United States.