Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Bush Concerned About “Human-Animal Hybrids”

My buddy Mox, at the inimitable Moxiegrrrl, checks in with her thoughts about the president’s speech last night and thought the same thing I did: Human-animal hybrids? This warranted inclusion in Bush's most important speech of the year?

“I have to say I have never been prouder of the President of the United States than I have been tonight,” writes Mox last night. “This is a tough, but serious issue, people! We cannot stand idly by whilst mad scientists breed such abominations! These creatures of death and evil will only escape from their creators and breed new and more frightening creatures beyond our most horrific nightmares!”

You can read the rest here.

A few other random observations I have about the speech (other than Bush’s fear that someone out there is creating a pack of marauding centaurs):
  • It’s amazing how much Republican presidents like to sound like Democrats when they give a nationally-televised speech. Bush doesn’t give a damn about Americans having health care for 364 days a year, but he sure faked some concern last night, didn’t he?
  • I love the calls for a “civil tone” from the party that brought us Lee Atwater, Karl Rove, the Swift Boat Liars, Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh and Bill O’Reilly. I guess it was this same group of civil folks who swift boated Max Cleland and John Kerry and tried to do a number on John Murtha for opposing the Iraq war. Don’t forget, this is also the same crew that likes to imply at every turn that Democrats have a “pre-9/11 view of the world” and are pro-terrorist.
  • How about this part? “In a complex and challenging time, the road of isolationism and protectionism may seem broad and inviting…” Who the hell has suggested that? I’m guessing that Bush’s idea of being an isolationist means that you don’t attack and occupy countries that did nothing to you.
  • Bush only invoked the word “freedom” 17 times. I expected at least 50. But then again, I predicted he would mention September 11 within 60 seconds and it actually took three minutes and 33 seconds. That's two wagers I lost.
  • Whether you accurately call it domestic spying or spin it by referring to warrantless eavesdropping on Americans as “terrorist surveillance,” I’ve got to know: How many al Qaeda people have been arrested from this? Just wondering.
OK, we’ve got that bit of propaganda put to bed for another year. Now, on to investigating this “terrorist surveillance” program.